Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake

I have been craving Strawberry Shortcake for a while now, but I am just not into the foamy looking cake bottoms that they have at the stores out here and there is no Bisquick for thousands of miles, so I had to make my own.


I used about a 1/2 pound of strawberries which I cored and cut up. I then added 2 Tablespoons of sugar to the strawberries and put the bowl in the fridge so it could get all juicy.

For the shortcake, I used this really easy recipe.

I followed the shortcake recipe pretty much exactly, but I did my own thing with the whipped cream.

Ingredients:
Shortcake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Whipped cream
250ml heavy whipping cream
1-1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
1/2 packet of sahnesteif


Preheat your oven to 400F(200C). Add the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the heavy cream and mix until just combined. Pour dough into an ungreased 8-inch square pan. I used a small rectangular glass pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until it is golden.
For the whipped cream, pour the whipping cream and the vanilla sugar into a small mixing bowl and mix using a whisk. Add the sahnesteif and whisk quickly until it forms soft peaks.
I allowed the shortcake to cool before I cut it into 8 pieces. I split the pieces in half like a hamburger bun, placed some strawberries with their juice and a LOT of whip cream over the top. Then put the top piece back on and ate it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment