Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Clay: Edible, No Cook Play Clay

I found this really easy and very inexpensive recipe for edible, no cook chocolate clay at Growing A Jeweled Rose. As soon as I read the blog post, I knew Alexa and I would be trying it out. Shockingly, I did not have cornstarch or nutella at home, so this morning we ran to the store and picked up our supplies. I bought the store brand of nutella because let's be honest...it's the same exact thing and I'm using and to make play dough. The nutella knockoff and the cornstarch cost 2,68€.

The recipe from Growing A Jeweled Rose says you can use as much nutella as you want. I wasn't sure how the recipe would turn out so I erred on the side of caution. I used one super heaping tablespoon of hazelnut cream.


Then I added two heaping tablespoons of cornstarch to the mix. The spoons were pretty useless in mixing the ingredients, so we dug in with our hands. It was messy, but felt so cool!



I let Alexa explore a little with mixture. She didn't really like how sticky it was, but yet she couldn't resist touching it repeatedly. Once it was mixed well and wasn't sticky anymore, I set Alexa up in her high chair with some cookie cutters.



She wasn't quite sure what to do at first, so I took the clay out of the bowl and showed her how to roll it in her hands. She mimicked what I was doing. Then we flattened the clay out and explored it's texture.



I'm not going to lie, she totally ate some. I'm pretty sure she would have eaten all of it if I hadn't stopped her. I can't blame her though, hazelnut cream smells great and tastes even better!


We used cookie cutters to cut out star, flower and heart shapes...all of which she promptly put in her mouth! Then we rolled balls of chocolate clay into a caterpillar shape and squished it flat to poke holes into.



Alexa enjoyed playing with the chocolate clay. I think her favorite parts were mixing it together and then tasting it! I might hold off a little longer before introducing other types of play dough because she still puts everything in her mouth, but I was glad to know that this was safe to eat.

What else would you make with chocolate clay?

No comments:

Post a Comment