Monday, July 15, 2013

Mommy Makeover - Week 2

Week 1 was pretty difficult. Here is what I learned:

Taking a 30 minute power walk every day is unrealistic with a 4 1/2 month old.  I don't always have an extra person to sit with Alexa while I do my walk. Also, sometimes her schedule just doesn't allow for me to have that extra time. In my mind, my original goal was to do 30 minutes of just walking. I wasn't planning on incorporating shopping or anything else into the walk. Unfortunately, it looks like it will have to be incorporated into the other things I need to get done every day. I did manage to walk 6 out of 7 days (sometimes just as a power walk, sometimes incorporated into my day and one day without baby!) last week, which I think it awesome!

Tae Bo. I did not manage to do Tae Bo every other day. However, I did do it three times last week. On Wednesday, I was just too lazy and miserable to do anything. Plus, it was outrageously hot. Yes, I am full of excuses.

Ab work out. My original ab work out came from Pinterest. It was something that I pinned for after baby and let me tell you...it burns! It's a 15-minute belly busting workout. It is PERFECT for a new mom or someone with limited exercise time. I cannot do all of the exercises yet, but I am working up to it. This ab routine is comprised of six different exercises. You do need an exercise ball and some weights to complete the routine. Instead of a medicine ball, I use a 5-pound weight. One day, I'll be able to do the Sprinter and the Mountain Climber, but first I need to build up my non-existent abdominal muscles. I actually have not done this workout at all in the last week. I decided to focus on the following strength training routine for two weeks and then I'll switch it up between these two OR just add in the ab workout.

Here's the new, really awesome and totally painful strength training work out (also found on Pinterest! Can you tell that I'm obsessed with Pinterest?). It's a series of six exercises that you do using only a wall! Sweet! It took me about 10-15 minutes to complete the circuit and let me tell you...I am seriously out of shape! Have a look: Wall Exercises. As much as these hurt, it was a good "Yes, I am finally going to get in shape" kind of pain. I managed to do the Wall Exercises three times last week.

Keeping a food diary is horrible! I started avoiding the computer area every time I had a snack or wanted a snack because that was where I had my food diary. Seeing all the crap I eat in writing made me feel soooo GUILTY! I know in my head that what I am eating is horrible, but that has never actually stopped me from eating it. However, with the food diary, to actually have to admit that yes, I ate "an entire chocolate bar, plus a brownie and an ice cream"...all within the same hour, that is just AWFUL!  It made me feel shameful. I think that might be the point of the food diary. The stupid, horrible, very mean, food diary. Let's see if it continues to help me change my chocolatey ways! I do have to say, that even after two days I started to see a very clear pattern to my eating. I eat pretty normal, healthy portion sizes during the day, but once evening hits...the chocolate part of my brain takes over! Seriously, I'll be eating dinner and I am already thinking about what I am going to have for snack. This cannot be normal!

I have to admit that as much as I hate the food diary, I also secretly like it (only a little bit!) because it is making me very aware of all the junk I eat. I am even, sub-consciously, a little bit less hungry...maybe. I am not dieting though. That is not my goal. My goal is to eat healthier and get back in shape in a healthy and safe way. I am not going to not be allowed to eat certain foods. If I want it, I'm going to eat it, however, I am hoping to eat those not so good for you treats less often and most importantly in lesser quantities. Instead of a 300g chocolate bar lasting oh say one evening, I would like it to last me a week or two. And I really want to reduce my stress eating! Ugh, that's a whole new goal right there!

Weigh in.  Ok, so after this morning's weigh in, I have lost 1kg (2.2lbs). I am disappointed. Yes, it is the amount that I want to lose each week, but honestly, I expected to drop at least 2-3kgs last week with all of the additional exercise that I was doing (Shut up, I know I ate a lot of chocolate last week too!). Chocolate, why oh why are you my best friend and worst enemy???

Healthy Snacks. Here are my 3 healthy snacks for the week...
1. Banana Peanut Butter ice cream
2. Strawberry Fruit Popsicles
3. Full grain rice cakes dipped in chocolate

I ate all of these snacks last week, however, I also ate chocolate too. :/ I guess I should add to this goal that not only do I have to find new, healthy snacks, but that I should actually eat them instead of my chocolate cookies, bars, and candies...



New/Updated Goals for Week 2:

30-minute walk 4-5x per week
Tae Bo every other day!! (at least 3x per week)
Ab work out/Strength Training opposite Tae Bo days (at least 3x per week)
Keep up the food diary
Attempt to limit to one chocolatey snack per day (yes, this really has to be a goal!)
Lose 1kg (2.2lbs)
Come up with at least 2 more healthy snacking options (and eat them INSTEAD, not in addition to chocolatey snacks!)
Learn to hate chocolate (any ideas on how I can do this??)

2 comments:

  1. hi, finally we can comment!! welcome to the Blog World dear.
    was Lovely to see u and Alexa today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your help today! We'll have to do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete